Sunday, August 15, 2010

Cheddar Cornbread with Roasted Jalapenos

I am obsessed with the Joy of Cooking.

If you do not have this cookbook in your kitchen, well, you are missing out.

Whatever you can dream of making, more than likely it's in there.  And no it's not a "celiac" designated cookbook, and it doesn't need to be.

This morning, I picked 12+ jalapenos from the plant growing on our deck.  What on earth can you do with this many uber-spicy peppers?  I like spicy, but even that is a bit extreme.



After googling around, I debate making jalapeno jelly or relish.  Jelly requires liquid pectic and Relish called for mustard seed - both would require a trip to the store.  

But, oh! What's that I see in my Joy ?  A recipe for Southern Cornbread - which is strictly corn meal, no other flours necessary.  And the suggestions for additions?  Roasted Jalapenos!  



My oven is emanating this beautiful spicy smell of cornbread.  I am now pleasantly full. 


No comments: